Financial Aid - Eligible Non-Citizen

What is the Eligibility for Non-Citizens?


A non-citizen who is in the U.S. as a permanent resident is eligible for federal student aid assistance.

Other types of eligible non-citizens must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing one of the following designations:

  • Refugee
  • Asylum Granted
  • Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending
  • Conditional Entrant (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)
  • Victims of human trafficking, T-visa (T-2, T-3, or T-4, etc.) holder or your parents hold a T-1 status
  • Parolee (You must be paroled into the United States for at least one year and you must be able to provide evidence from the USCIS that you are in the United States for other than a temporary purpose and that you intend to become a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.)
  • Battered immigrant-qualified alien who is a victim of abuse by your citizen or permanent resident spouse, or you are the child of a person designated as such under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).
  • You are a citizen of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, or the Republic of Palau. If this is the case, you may be eligible for only certain types of federal student aid.

You are not eligible for federal student aid if:

  • You have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464)
  • You’re in the United States on certain visas, including an F1 or F2 student visa, or a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa
  • Persons with G series visas (pertaining to international organizations)

NOTE: A non-citizen in the U.S. on a temporary visa is not eligible for federal aid but may be eligible for assistance through the college’s grants, scholarships or employment postings.

Undocumented students, including DACA recipients, are not eligible for federal student aid, but you may still be eligible for state or college aid, in addition to private scholarships

Mail this page!

Was this helpful?