Work Study

What are different types of work study available?


There are different types of work study available including Federal Work Study programs and work study options through CalWORKS.

Federal Work Study

The federal work study program allows eligible students to seek employment for on-campus jobs. To apply, fill out a work-study interest form by visiting the Financial Aid Office. All Federal Work Study jobs are coordinated by the Financial Aid Office and various campus departments. These positions are subject to change depending on the needs of the campus and amount of funding available.

To be eligible for federal work study, you will need to meet the following criteria:

  • You’ve already submitted a FAFSA to enroll in financial aid and are in need of earnings to pursue a course of study at Compton College.
  • You’re enrolled in a minimum of 6 units.
  • You’re a U.S. citizen, or in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose with the intention of becoming a permanent resident.
  • You’re capable, in the opinion of the institution, of maintaining a good academic standing while employed under the program.
  • You must be eligible for a Pell Grant to qualify for Work Study at Compton College.

To find out more information, visit:

COVID-19 Response: The Financial Aid & Scholarship Office is available in Tartar Village for in-person services, walk-ins welcome, appointments recommended. Please email the Financial Aid & Scholarship Office at or call 310-900-1600, Ext. 2935 for more information.


CalWORKS program operates as a partnership with the County of Los Angeles, local business and government agencies. Assistance is provided to eligible students so they can obtain their educational degrees and certificates while gaining work experience that leads to sustainable employment.

To be eligible for the CalWORKS program, you will need to:

  • Complete and submit your FAFSA and show financial need
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as required by college policy
  • Be enrolled in at least one course in a qualifying major
  • Be a recipient of GAIN and have a GAIN referral
  • Be a cash aid recipient for yourself and at least one child

To find out more about CalWORKS at Compton College, visit

To speak with a CalWORKS representative at Compton College, visit the CalWORKS page above and click “Chat with a CalWORKS Team Member” on the left side of the page.

Mail this page!

Was this helpful?